delegating a subdomain

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 26 16:52:12 UTC 1999

In article <7v3n6v$moi$1 at news.ibm.net.il>,
Itay Oliver  <itay at ibm.net.il> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I want to create a subdomain and i understand all the process
> except one thing.
>How do i create the link from the parent domain to the NS of
> the subdomain ?

You put NS records in the parent domain zone file.  E.g. if there's a
domain parent.com and a subdomain sub.parent.com delegated to
subserver1.somewhere.com and subserver2.somewhere.com, the parent.com zone
file would contain:

sub  NS  subserver1.somewhere.com.
sub  NS  subserver2.somewhere.com.

If any of the subdomain's servers have names in the subdomain itself,
you'll also need to put glue A records in the parent zone, e.g.

sub  NS  subserver.sub.parent.com.
subserver.sub  A  1.2.3.4

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com