Newbie: When does zone transfer kick in?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Oct 26 16:23:35 UTC 1999

> I have a simple question. I am trying to get DNS working for my domain
> (tourneyland.net). I have it working locally, meaning that if
> computers on my LAN use my local name server (that I configured), they
> can find www.tourneyland.net just fine. So far so good. So I put in a
> zone transfer request with the InterNIC a couple of days ago. I just
> did a whois, and my record has been updated and is using my machines
> (ns1.tourneyland.net and ns2.tourneyland.net) for the DNSs.

What I currently get from a request for type=ANY is:

Non-authoritative answer:
tourneyland.net	nameserver = NS1.TOURNEYLAND.COM
tourneyland.net	nameserver = NS2.tourneyland.net

tourneyland.net	nameserver = NS1.TOURNEYLAND.COM
tourneyland.net	nameserver = NS2.tourneyland.net
NS2.tourneyland.net	internet address = 216.62.177.3

This is not consistent with what you have said.  You may wish to query
the InterNIC again.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B