soa.granitecanyon.com setup problem

roamer at my-deja.com roamer at my-deja.com
Tue Oct 26 14:03:22 UTC 1999

I think that what you have done is use the wrong address.... basically
the lines that you have done as :

coolnow.com.  IN  RP hotister at hotmail.com.
hotister.coolnow.com.    IN  TXT "T.T. Lee, NIC handle: TT309"

should actually have the same email address in the RP record as at the
start of the IN TXT record....

So if you make it :

coolnow.com.  IN  RP hotister at coolnow.com.
hotister.coolnow.com.    IN  TXT "T.T. Lee, NIC handle: TT309"

it will work... tell me how it goes...

Good Luck!

-John.

In article <7t9asi$avq$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  "T.T. Lee" <hotister at my-deja.com> wrote:
> this simple task (suppose to) wasted my whole weekend. I still can't
> figure out what I did wrong. I keep getting this error message when I
> click on "submit" button:

> nscheck: RP TXT field is missing
>
> So I click on back, and double check again and again the PP TXT field,
> can't find anything wrong.. here is my file:
>
> -----
> ; Name Servers
>
> coolnow.com.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
> coolnow.com.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>
> coolnow.com.  IN  RP hotister at hotmail.com.
>
> hotister.coolnow.com.    IN  TXT "T.T. Lee, NIC handle: TT309"
>
> ; addresses for the canonical names
> ; Many emailers expect the name localhost to exist
> ; in a domain with this specific, reserved address.
> ; 127/8 or 127/255.0.0.0 is the address of LOOPBACK-NET
> ; 127.0.0.1 is reserved to mean this host on the LOOPBACK-
>
> localhost.coolnow.com.   IN  A  127.0.0.1
>
> ; The IP addresses below are reserved for networks
> ; not connected to the InterNet. They are not routable by
> ; most publicly accessible backbones and are here as an
> ; example only.
> -------
> And I read the FAQ again and again, here is what it said:
>
> =======
> nscheck: RP TXT field is missing
> RP records are always of the following format:
> <name.zone.top-level-zone> IN RP <email address> <TXT RR name>
>
> where:
> <name.zone.top-level-zone> is the name of the record
> <email address> is an email address in DNS format (with the @ replaced
> by dots)
> <TXT RR name> is the name of an associated TXT record with additional
> contact information about the human being who can respond to problems
> with this zone. Usually this includes a telephone number and/or a NIC
> handle, as assigned by the appropriate registrar (InterNic, ARIN, RIPE
> or APNIC.) These NIC handles are not the same as your userid, and
> cannot be made up.
> ========
> According to the "example" provide by granitecanyon.com, this is what
> it should look like:
>
> ; Name Servers
>
> coffee.com.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
> coffee.com.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>
> ; multiple RP records authorize others to submit zone changes
> ; from the email address in the first field after the RP
> ; This email address is in DNS-email format. That is,
> ; the '@' (at-sign) is replaced by '.' (dot or period.)
>
> coffee.com.  IN  RP juan.tea.com. Juan.Valdez.coffee.com.
> coffee.com.  IN  RP juanita.tea.com. Juanita.Valdez.coffee.com.
>
> Juan.Valdez.coffee.com.    IN  TXT "Juan Valdez,    NIC handle:
JUAN123"