Private network DNS setup problems

Dave Kaylor dkaylor at poboxes.com
Mon Oct 25 15:35:08 UTC 1999

I am trying to setup a linux server for my private network to attempt an
intranet but am having some difficulties in the DNS setup.  It is a simple
network with the server and two other computers connected at this time with
future expansion at a later date.  I have used various sample configurations
and believe I am running BIND 8 ( as changes to named.conf make a
difference).  After setting up the files and running "ndc restart" ,
nslookup returns:

[dkaylor at mtime dkaylor]$ nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 10.18.18.2: Server failed
*** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: Server failed
*** Default servers are not available

The linux server is setup as 10.18.18.2, another system (maxine) is
10.18.18.1 and the third (dave) is 10.18.18.3.  I am ew at linux as well and
am not sure how to do a few of the tricks to troubleshoot but am willing to
learn :)  The domain I am using is "ktech.cxm" and I believe there is no
.cxm valid for public to avoid conflicts.  Thank you for any help that I can
get.

Dave Kaylor
http://www.ktech-usa.com

**** named.conf  ****