DNS for single IP (virutal web hosting)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 25 14:04:34 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9910250800180.13950-100000 at zeus.me.gatech.edu>,
Jiann-Ming Su  <js1 at zeus.me.gatech.edu> wrote:
>I'm on a sub-class C network (network .160, mask .224).  My ISP has their
>servers configured so that I handle DNS for my network.  I want to provide
>name-based virtual web hosting within my sub-class C network.  I know
>how to configure Apache to perform this task.  I also want my web server
>to be the primary nameserver for all the virtual web hosts.  How do I need
>to configure my primary nameserver so that it works nicely with my web
>server which will also act as a master nameserver for our customer domains?
>Thanks for any help.

Just configure it as primary for all those domains and install either A
records or CNAME records that point to the address or name of your web
server.  There's no limit on the number of records that point to a single
address.  You don't need to create PTR records for all the names; just pick
one name and use it in the PTR record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com