Forwarders and performance

Daniel Roesen droesen at entire-systems.com
Mon Oct 25 09:59:13 UTC 1999

> Obviously, those behind a firewall must "forward only" to
> their bastion host proxy.

OK, those need to forward anyway.

Caching is also obvious to me. All our internal machines use our official
nameserver for name resolution. The question is, if our official nameserver
should forward queries to the nameserver of our upstream ISP. I see no big
advantage in doing so. The chance of getting old not-uptodate data from our
ISP (caching of zones) is higher than if we do the resolving ourselves.

Are there any "hidden killer-pro's" in favour of forwarding to the ISP's
nameserver?

Best regards,
Daniel