PTR & SOA - adding new domain

Tony Da Silva tony at idws.com
Sun Oct 24 09:44:02 UTC 1999

Hi All,

We are moving our sites from a hosting company onto our own server - with the main domain being idws.com
I am trying to test out machine by registering the domain tonyds.co.za - but I am getting error messages.
I will include the set-up of the DNS here, as well as the error messages I am getting from the registrar:

ERROR MESSAGE FROM REGISTRAR:
Nameservers/MX Records - etc

Primary Server  : zeus.idws.com @ 216.4.160.34
Secondary 1     : apollo.idws.com @ 216.4.160.38
There is no pre-existing SOA record for tonyds.co.za.
There is/are no pre-existing MX record for "tonyds.co.za."

CHECKING: Primary Server is zeus.idws.com at 216.4.160.34
WARN: No PTR records?  - INFO: At 216.4.160.34

CHECKING: secondary 1 is apollo.idws.com at 216.4.160.38
WARN: No PTR records?  - INFO: At 216.4.160.37
!
! The message "No PTR records?" means that when your application was
! scanned, the program tried to convert the IP Number that you gave for
! you Nameserver (or Mail eXchange Server) into a "name" - but failed.
! This is usually because no one has set up any reverse domain
! information, ie the bit that converts numbers to names.  If this is
! not set up - then you may have trouble later on with security
! validation or when tring to use FTP to many sites - so its worth
! fixing...  If it has been set up - then it has NOT been successfully
! delegated to.  Ask your Internet Service Provider what this means.
!

Adding application
Checking quoted Nameservers....

There is no SOA record for tonyds.co.za. at 216.4.160.34
The Host is reachable - 3 out of 3 pings returned
!
! The most common reason for this is that no one has got around to
! setting this machine up yet as a Primary or Secondary server yet...
! or has simply forgotten to do so.  However, if this problem is not
! fixed soon, access to your domain may be hindered by 'Lame
! Delegations' - which I'd rather not explain about - so please get
! someone to do something about this now?
!

There is no SOA record for tonyds.co.za. at 216.4.160.38
The Host is reachable - 3 out of 3 pings returned
!
! The most common reason for this is that no one has got around to
! setting this machine up yet as a Primary or Secondary server yet...
! or has simply forgotten to do so.  However, if this problem is not
! fixed soon, access to your domain may be hindered by 'Lame
! Delegations' - which I'd rather not explain about - so please get
! someone to do something about this now?
!
ERROR: No valid nameservers found - rejecting request

FILES ON OUR SERVER: (BIND 8.2.1)

NAMED.CONF
options {
 directory "/var/named";
};

zone "." {
 type hint;
 file "named.ca";
};

zone "idws.com" {
 type master;
 file "idws.com";
 notify yes;
};

zone "mail.idws.com" {
 type master;
 file "mail.idws.com";
 notify no;
};

zone "160.4.216.in-addr.arpa" {
 type master;
 file "160.4.216";
 notify yes;
};

zone "zeus.idws.com" {
 type master;
 file "zeus.idws.com";
 notify yes;
};

zone "tonyds.co.za" {
 type master;
 file "tonyds.co.za";
 notify yes;
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
 type master;
 file "named.local";
};

160.4.216 :
@  IN SOA zeus.idws.com. hostmaster.zeus.idws.com. (
    99102403 ;
    10800  ;
    3600  ;
    3600000  ;
    86400 )  ;
@  IN NS zeus.idws.com.
34.160.4.216 IN PTR  zeus.idws.com.
38.160.4.216  IN PTR tonyds.co.za.
38.160.4.216 IN PTR idws.com.
38.160.4.216 IN PTR apollo.idws.com.

tonyds.co.za
@  IN SOA zeus.idws.com. hostmaster.zeus.idws.com. (
    99102405 ;
    10800  ;
    3600  ;
    3600000  ;
    86400 )  ;
  IN NS zeus.idws.com.
  IN NS apollo.idws.com.
  IN A 216.4.160.34
  IN PTR 216.4.160.38
  IN MX 10 zeus.idws.com.
www  IN CNAME tonyds.co.za.
ftp  IN CNAME tonyds.co.za.

**note: the PTR record in tonyds.co.za was added to see if the problem will be resolved - but I get the same message if it is in there or not***

The domain name www.idws.com is still on the iserver DNS - and I have added a A record there which points zeus.idws.com to 216.4.160.34

The other DNS server has the same set-up - but is NT4.

I know this is a rather large message - but I am providing all the info so that you can maybe find the solution to my problem. If you need to find something out - you may mail me at tony at idws.com.

Thanking you in advance for your patience and help,

Regards
Tony