named consuming 99%+ CPU on both NS1 ans NS2 simultaneously

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Oct 23 23:05:24 UTC 1999

 It sounds like a DNS storm.  When TSIG support was added RD stopped
 being cleared by mistake.  This was fixed in BIND 8.2.2.

 DNS storms are the result of servers being delegated zones for
 which they are not configured then having a query come in.  They
 were reasonable common in the early days.

 For a while BIND used to SERVFAIL when it detected that it was
 self lame.  Now it forwards the query again.

 Mark

 692.   [bug]           RD was not being cleared by ns_forw().  this could
			cause DNS storms between lame servers.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org