Someone pleae help

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 22 21:53:44 UTC 1999

In article <xxRP3.867$7O3.11885 at sodalite.nbnet.nb.ca>,
Ken Holmes <ken at virtualworldinc.com> wrote:
>Here is what this domains zone file looks like
>
>@               IN         SOA    virtual.virtualworldinc.com.
>hostmaster.virtualworldinc.com
>                        1999080903 ; serial
>                        3600 ; refresh
>                        900 ; retry
>                        1209600 ; expire
>                        43200 ; default_ttl
>                        )
>
>mynetstore.net. IN      MX      10      mail.virtualworldinc.com.
>@               IN      MX      5       virtualworldinc.com.
>@               IN      NS      virtualworldinc.com.
>@               IN      A       207.179.141.20
>www             IN      A       207.179.141.20
>www             IN      NS      virtualworldinc.com.

This NS record is wrong.  It means that there should be a new zone for
www.mynetstore.net.  Any other records for www.mynetstore.net must be in
that new zone file, so the A record above it is ignored.  Your log should
have a message saying that the record is being ignored because it's outside
the zone.

When your secondary server, opal.nbnet.nb.ca, transfers the mynetstore.net
zone, the ignored A record will not be included.

Get rid of the unnecessary NS record.  Also, you should add:

@  IN NS  opal.nbnet.nb.ca.

>mynetstore.net  IN      MX      5       mail.virtualworldinc.com.
>

>Here is a file from the one that works I know this one is screwed up, but I
>don't get why it works and the other doesn't above

I can't explain why it works in this other zone, since it's set up the
same, wrong way.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com