Resolving domain.com versus machine.domain.com

Scot Harkins at Thurman Industries scoth at thurman.com
Thu Oct 21 18:45:26 UTC 1999

Howdy,

I'm helping with a freenet in the Seattle area (scn.org) that provides
access to a menu system via telnet (or dialup).  Currently, users can telnet
to "scn.org".  We do have machines named, so this one is actually
"scn.scn.org", and there are others in the network.

It is our understanding that we ought to have telnets coming into, say,
"telnet.scn.org" (a CNAME for scn.scn.org), and that allowing "scn.org" to
resolve to specific machine limits our DNS options in other ways.

We are presently on BIND4, but are planning an upgrade to BIND8 in the very
near future.  Out name services are handled by the Seattle Public Library,
but we want our DNS to feed up to theirs by reverse arp, if I understand it
correctly.  At present, we are running a caching-only config.  We really
just want the freedom to control our own DNS entries on our own, in case we
want to break out services to separate machines, or move a service from one
to another.

Can we allow "scn.org" to resolve to "scn.scn.org" (or any other machine we
choose) without compromising our configuration or options?

Thanks!
Scot

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU) | Systems Administrator, Thurman Ind, Bothell, WA
North Bend, WA        | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington