Can't seem to get ns_update to work...

Ben Kosse BKosse at thecreek.com
Thu Oct 21 18:10:19 UTC 1999

I believe you are correct, it's the WINS server combined with DHCP that
handles dynamic names under NT4.

DHCP hands out an IP address.
When DNS queries a name or IP, it first looks in its cache, static names,
and any necessary forwarders.
If that fails, DNS will (if configured) query the WINS server which first
looks in it's database.
If that fails, WINS sends out a broadcast query and this is answered by
whatever NetBIOS box thinks it's the appropriate machine.

Hope that helps.