Notify Option

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Oct 21 15:22:45 UTC 1999

> Can somebody please briefly explain what the notify=no or notify=yes
option
> does for a master server. If one chooses yes, will this inform a secondary
dns > server of changes.

Yup, if that secondary master is listed in the NS records for the zone or in
the also-notify list.  See RFC 1996 for details.

> Also, is there a way to make the master BIND 8.2.1 "tell" a Windows NT4
> server about changes to its records or about new records - preferable
> automatically.

That would also be NOTIFY, which Microsoft DNS Servers understand.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.