Cache.

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Oct 20 15:01:42 UTC 1999

> Firstly, does "ndc reload" clear the cache of BIND 8.1? If not, how is the
> cache cleared?

ndc reload sends named a hangup signal (SIGHUP), which tells the name
server to reload zones that have changed.  It doesn't clear the cache.  ndc
restart, which kills and then starts named, does clear the cache.

> And secondly.. when I change a zone file on master, and then do a "ndc
> reload' I can see the change instantly.
>
> However, when I go to the slave server for the zone, and do an "ndc
reload"
> .. the change is not apparent straight away?
>
> Should the zone transfer for the particular changed zone happen
> instantaneously? Or should I wait a couple of minutes?

No, it may take some time for the name server to process all of the
outstanding
serial number queries, since it will only allow a certain number to be
pending
at a time.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.