Multiple Domain Names/ One IP Address

Glenn Davidson gdavidson at kbkids.com
Mon Oct 18 20:41:50 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote in message
news:ybnM3.699$854.28964 at burlma1-snr2...
> In article <TOPL3.545$As1.46612 at typhoon.aracnet.com>,
> James Boylan <james at boylan.net> wrote:
> >Alright. I've got a bit of a problem. I need to know if it is at all
possible
> >to set up BIND so that you have more than one Domain names but only one
IP
> >address. This has been something troubling me for a bit and I would
greatly
> >apprecate any help that I could recieve trying to answer this problem.
>
> Yes.  Just create different A records that all have the same IP address,
or
> use CNAME records if possible.  Pick one of the A records and use it in
the
> corresponding PTR record (multiple PTR records are legal, but I generally
> don't recommend them).

Can you use a CNAME record for domains or were you suggesting something I'm
not understanding?

Currently I am rebuilding our zone files and using the $INCLUDE command for
all the different domains we have (about 40).  I am using a "generic.com"
zone file to specify the information for each domain and changing the origin
from the "main.com" file.  This points all the domains to the same
information but just changes the origin.  This way I have a one file update
(i hope).

Is this close to what I want to be able to do or am I wasting time and
should work toward the suggestion here?  Sometimes I think I got a clear
understanding of this and then all of a sudden I don't!