DNS and intranet security

Diego dcima at rete039.it
Mon Oct 18 14:59:36 UTC 1999

Scenario:
One linux box (RH 6.0, Samba 2.0.3, Bind 8)
two win98 clients

This is my small intranet at home. The linux box acts as file server and
gateaway to the Internet for two Win98.
I have set up bind 8 to have my own DNS (just for fun and because I need to
point to different forwarders i.e. different ISPs).

Since I want my intranet to be safe from outside evil, I would like to know
any security issue about having named running when I'm on the internet.
I'm using a private C class network, and I have set up ipchains to block
access to port 53 (both on TCP and UDP).

Am I doing it right? I know there should be something built in in Bind for
security, but I'm not sure on how to use it. Any hint or suggestion is
wellcome!

Thanx
Diego