How to find a DNS IP Address on LAN

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Oct 18 15:30:23 UTC 1999

> You are a workstation which your name is "WS1.toto.fr" you want to
> knows your IP address (and you can't use your MAC address), there is no
> DHCP server but just DNS server.
>
> How can you find the IP address of the DNS server ?

Of the DNS server, not of your own workstation?

There is no way to determine a priori what your DNS server is.  The
best way is to ask your system administrator.

If that is impossible, if you know what network it is on, then you can
try doing an
	nslookup ws1.toto.fr IP.ad.dr.es
for EACH host address on that network.

If this is an Internet domain, you can also ask someone else to do an
	nslookup -type=ns toto.fr
but I find that this is not a real Internet domain, so this fails for
me.

The 'nslookup' commands can also be done running 'dig'; but not every
system has 'dig'.

If you are not sure what network you are on, you can find your own IP
address by running 'ifconfig'.  Depending on what system you are
running and how old a standard it is following, you might have to run
it as one of:
	/etc/ifconfig
	/usr/etc/ifconfig
	/sbin/ifconfig
	/usr/sbin/ifconfig

On some systems, 'ifconfig -a' will work; on others, you will have to
know the name of your interface [often printed out on boot], and use
that as an argument:
	ifconfig ppp0	[dial-ins]
	ifconfig le0
	ifconfig lan0
	ifconfig eth0

OBTW, you never did say what kind of workstation you were running.  If
it is not some reasonable system, others have already assumed something
else in their answers.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B