Named Error Codes

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 18 15:23:56 UTC 1999

In article <Sw8IOIrhO8pKBUqvJUuQr3zffE6G at 4ax.com>,
Mark Olbert  <mark at arcabama.com> wrote:
>Where can I find documentation on the error codes produced by named?
>I'm getting a number of error 413 conditions (SERVFAIL), and I'd like
>to try and figure out what that means...

RFC 1035 documents the following DNS response codes (NXDOMAIN is the usual
abbreviation for "Name Error", the rest have pretty obvious mappings to the
common abbreviations):

RCODE           Response code - this 4 bit field is set as part of
                interpretation:

                0               No error condition

                1               Format error - The name server was
                                unable to interpret the query.

                2               Server failure - The name server was
                                unable to process this query due to a
                                problem with the name server.

                3               Name Error - Meaningful only for
                                server, this code signifies that the
                                domain name referenced in the query does
                                not exist.

                4               Not Implemented - The name server does
                                not support the requested kind of query.

                5               Refused - The name server refuses to
                                perform the specified operation for
                                policy reasons.  For example, a name
                                server may not wish to provide the
                                information to the particular requester,
                                or a name server may not wish to perform
                                a particular operation (e.g., zone
                                transfer) for particular data.

                6-15            Reserved for future use.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com