DNS registration problem?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 15 19:42:26 UTC 1999

In article <3806A266.D25EBA9C at asu.edu>,  <techeng at asu.edu> wrote:
>        I already registered "domain name" ( mydomain.com) on
>www.register.com but they point my DNS to their DNS, like
>dns4.register.com. When I asked them to change the DNS to point my DNS.
>
>        They asked me
>        (1) Give them both ip address and name of that DNS, like
>204.181.16.82 and its name is dns1.mydomain.com.
>        (2) "Register" these two DNSes. I do not understand what they
>mean by registering? Do we have to pay additional money to register our
>own DNSes?

If you use Network Solutions, they have a separate template you must fill
in to register a server host.  There's no fee for this, but you have to
register a host before you can reference it in a domain registration.

It sounds like register.com is similar.

>        (3) Does it matter if we registered more than two names pointing
>to the same ip address?

Network Solutions won't allow you to register more than one name pointing
to an address (they used to allow "aliases" to be registered, but no
longer).  You'll have to ask register.com what their policy on this is (one
reason for competition in the registrar business is so customers can choose
the one whose policies best match their needs).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com