SOA an NS records

philbird at my-deja.com philbird at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 15 17:03:43 UTC 1999

In article <upHN3.907$854.37196 at burlma1-snr2>,
  Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
> In article <0.b9e70de7.25383e18 at aol.com>,  <S0LARlSTEK at aol.com> wrote:
> >I have a zone that is just wanting to update to my secondary.  The
only thing

> I don't understand your first sentence.  Does "just wanting to update"
mean
> "failing to update"?

The primary doesn't update the secondary, ( except bind 8 will notify
the secondary when an update is needed) the secondary pulls the zone
when the previous SOA time has expired ( or bind 8 notifies).

turn on debuging on the secondary and check the named-xfer logs for
the problem. you can use named-xfer manually as well.
** a quick pre-test is to use nslookup, do an 'ls domain_name'
if this doesn't work, the zone won't xfer either.
Also use nslookup and set the type to 'soa' and enter the domain name.
check the values returned look right.

> >I can think of is that I have the exact same domain under and SOA
record and
> >a NS record.
>
> Have you checked the log on your primary server, to see if it's
generating
> warnings when it loads the zone?  The log should tell you precisely
what it
> doesn't like about the file.
>

> >Like this:
> >
> >SOA ns1.websgt.net.
> >
> >NS      ns1.websgt.net.
> >
> >Can this cause a problem.  Or should the SOA be the machine name that
the
> >actual site is on.
>
> The only thing that cares about the hostname in an SOA record is
dynamic
> update.  The SOA hostname should be the name of the primary master DNS
> server for the domain; at least 90% of the time it's also in the NS
> records (the exception is "hidden primaries").
>
> >Like this.
> >
> >SOA web60.websgt.net.
> >NS      ns1.websgt.net.
>
> Unless web60 is a DNS server, this is wrong.
>
> Are these lines really the way they look in the zone file?  If they
are,
> the problem is that they're not indented, so "SOA" and "NS" are being
taken
> as hostnames, not record types.  The file should look something like:
>
> @  SOA  ns1.websgt.net. hostmaster.websgt.net. (
>         <other SOA parameters> )
>    NS   ns1.websgt.net.
>    NS   ns2.websgt.net.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
> GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the group.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.