Another question regarding messages in syslog

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Oct 15 05:51:58 UTC 1999

	You have used query-source to specify port 53 for out going
	queries.  You also have a interface that named is not
	listening to queries on, either via using listen-on or
	having an interface come up after named is started.  The
	later is corrected every interface-interval when running
	as root, when running as any other user named will not
	attempt/succeed (BIND version dependant) in binding to the
	new interface.

	The message indicate that named received a query on a
	interface it was not listening on.  The query-source uses
	a wild card local address and gets any queries not directed
	at interfaces named is listening on.

	Since the address the query came from was on port 53, we
	will assume that it is another nameserver making the query.
	You need to workout what the query is for, use snoop /
	tcpdump.  You then need to workout why the other server
	thought it could get an answer from this address and correct
	the appropriate NS / A records or ensure that named is
	listening on the interface.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org