how to stop recursion for unqualified hostnames ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 14 22:00:04 UTC 1999

In article <38064677.E8068D0 at shifted-bytes.de>,
Michael Agbaglo  <byteshifter at shifted-bytes.de> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>>
>> In article <38022F04.10E1877B at shifted-bytes.de>,
>> Michael Agbaglo  <byteshifter at shifted-bytes.de> wrote:
>> >bind 8.1.2
>> >
>> >I've a primary domain name server. It can resolve all hosts in it's
>> >database.
>> >When I query a non-existent IP it responds immediately, but when I query
>> >a host w/ a unqualified name e.g. "banana" it looks this host up
>> >recursively. How can I prevent this ???
>>
>> options {
>>   recursion no;
>> }
>>
> No. if I use this unqualified hosts aren't resolved at all. (even
>existing ones)

I guess I don't understand the problem, then.

In general, it's the resolver's job to append a default domain to an
unqualified name, not the server's job.  For instance, if your
/etc/resolv.conf contains

domain shifted-bytes.de

and you try to look up "banana", the resolver library should try to look up
"banana.shifted-bytes.de".  Since this domain should be in your server's
database, it should give an authoritative answer, and no recursion should
take place.

If you try to look something up in an outside domain,
e.g. banana.bbnplanet.com, your server should perform a recursive query to
our server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com