Can a BIND8 server be a secondary to a BIND 4.9 Server?

Ray Galuszka galuszr at cankampen.com
Thu Oct 14 20:18:33 UTC 1999

I am upgrading from BIND 4.9 to Bind 8.1.2 and I have secondary statements
in my named.boot that I converted to the new "slave" BIND8 syntax and copied
to the new BIND 8 master.  It's not picking up the zone files from the
servers for which it is a "slave" or secondary.  Our company is a
wholly-owned subsidiary and OUR master server also acts as a secondary to
our corporate parent firm.

Can a BIND8 server be a secondary/slave to a BIND 4.9 server?  Is there a
configuration option in BIND 8 to tell it that it's master is a BIND 4.9
server?

Ray Galuszka
mailto:galuszr at vkm.com