BIND 8.2.2 (T7B; RC1): install won't go to destination

Phil Howard phil-bind at ipal.net
Thu Oct 14 20:06:53 UTC 1999

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> Phil Howard continues to ask:
> > While trying out bind-8.2.2-t7b, I encounter yet again the same error
> > as before with 8.2.1.  The destination address is specified in DST=
> > but the install process still tries to install in /usr.
>
> I had previously written:
> > From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>
> > Subject: Re: BIND 8.2.1 won't install where configured to
> > To: phil-bind at ipal.net (Phil Howard)
> > Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:06:56 -0400 (EDT)

> > In .../src/port/linux/Makefile.set, add the line
> >
> > 'DESTDIR=/tmp/bind-installed'
> >
> > BEFORE you do any of the above:
> > 	make links
> > 	make clean
> > 	make depend
> > 	make
> > 	make install
>
> ALTERNATELY,
>
> > The instructions say that you can also do the following, of which you
> > only did the FIRST half.  I have not tried this, for various reasons:
> >
> > 		make DST=/tmp/bind-installed SRC=`pwd` links
> > 		cd /tmp/bind-installed

Doesn't seem to help.  It builds _in_ the destination directory, but it
doesn't install there.  Maybe it's not supposed to?  Will I have to use
a chroot hack to do this?

I've put online all the stuff I am building it with, including the script
that does it at http://phil.ipal.org/installing-bind-8.2.2-t7b/
In that directory is "log" which is the log of the last build I did.
I tried to install into "install-to-here".  The source is in "base".
The scripts are "Build" which calls "Mergetree".

--
Phil Howard | w8x5y5z7 at dumbads7.net eat1this at no0where.net ads5suck at anywhere.net
  phil      | end8it78 at dumbads0.com stop4it8 at no1place.org stop5it9 at spam0mer.edu