multihomed DNS

philbird at my-deja.com philbird at my-deja.com
Thu Oct 14 16:14:29 UTC 1999

Hi,
I'm having a problem figuring out how to make hosts on a multihomed
DNS not require a fully qualified domain to refrence hosts in
the same zone.

I'm setting up a multihomed DNS server. It has 3 NICs on a subnet'd
network (192.168.100/26).
I'm trying to have a couple of multihomed servers respond to
the same hostname i.e. fileserver etc.
I've setup 3 zone files, one for each subnet,
sub1.mydomain.com
sub2.mydomain.com
sub3.mydomain.com

The plan was for each zone to have records such as

sub1:
192.168.100.4   IN  A  fileserver

sub2:
192.168.100.68   IN  A  fileserver

sub3:
192.168.100.130  IN A fileserver

so that users would only have to NFS or telnet to 'fileserver'
reguardless of which subnet they are on, and still go to the local
NIC.

However what I'm finding is that any domain other than the one the DNS
server belongs to, requires a fully qualified name, which then defeats
the idea of ussing a generic hostname that works everywhere.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.