alternate port / alternate way for master DNS zone xfers ?

Jan Vicherek honza at ied.com
Wed Oct 13 22:44:30 UTC 1999

   I do not have access to the firewall or anywhere where I could
configure anything. All I was given is a generic IP on a relatively big
network, and was told that "BTW, DNS TCP connections are blocked". End of
story. I have to deal with it. I don't know whether BIND8 allows me to
deal with it.

   thx,

       Jan

PS: where is this list archived ? I guess I've subscribed to the list
after Barry's answer (I've never seen it), but before you answer. So all I
got is your answer.

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> If you are really trying to zone transfer THROUGH the firewall, (a) as
> mentioned, this is probably a bad idea, and (b) you should use a proxy
> on the firewall, rather than opening a hole!
>
> BIND's 'named' itself can be used as a DNS proxy, if properly
> configured.
>
> --
> Joe Yao				jsdy at cospo.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
> COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
>       This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

 -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
                ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##
                   http://Vicherek.Waterloo.on.ca/