A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at bartlet.df.lth.se
Wed Oct 13 20:03:21 UTC 1999

In article <bkuL3.672$854.27514 at burlma1-snr2>, Barry Margolin wrote:
>Nothing in the named.boot or named.conf files has ever been covered by any
>RFC.  How you configure a name server is purely an implementation-specific
>issue, and has no impact on the protocol.  I'm not even sure why the zone
>master file format needed to be specified in an RFC; there are several DNS
>servers that take their input via a GUI rather than files in this format
>(e.g. MS DNS Manager, Cisco Network Registrar).

Note that some of those generate RFC compliant zone files. Lucent QIP does,
as well as MS DNS, if severely beaten. (that is _not_ an endorsement, though)

--
Måns Nilsson 					MN1334-RIPE
www.besserwisser.org for details		GSM 070 8344045

Hey, wait a minute!!  I want a divorce!! ... you're not Clint Eastwood!!