No root nameservers for class IN

Phil Howard phil-bind at ipal.net
Tue Oct 12 13:29:20 UTC 1999

I just saw the thread with this subject (No root nameservers for class IN)
where the message was occurring in a server configured as root.

But what can cause this message for a non-root server, besides a lack of
a hints file?

I've had this happen to me three times now.  The server is failing.  Every
kill/restart it continues to fail.  I see that message in the log and assume
it must be a result of something gone wrong.

Now here's the weird part.

In the course of trying to figure it out, I try making changes to the
named.conf file.  For example I add the "in" class for the zone.  After
several desperate changes, eventually it starts working between two runs
with no intervening changes.  Thinking I missed something, I preceed to
back off the changes.  Eventually I get back to the exact original file,
and it's still working fine.  The a few hours or days later, the problem
comes back.

This is with 8.2 pre-compiled by Redhat.  I'm trying to build my own
8.2.1 but it would install right at all (maybe Redhat interference).

Any idea what EXTERNAL FORCES might be able to cause 8.2 to fail like that?

--
Phil Howard | w8x5y5z7 at dumbads7.net eat1this at no0where.net ads5suck at anywhere.net
  phil      | end8it78 at dumbads0.com stop4it8 at no1place.org stop5it9 at spam0mer.edu