Query logging

Scott Bertilson scott at nts.umn.edu
Mon Oct 11 22:47:59 UTC 1999

> If I configure a file channel for the "queries" channel, it enables query
> logging at server startup which is not required and will fill up the file
> system.
>
> What am I missing? - is there any way to tell the channel / category to
> start only when query logging is enabled?

  Yes, we ran into similar problems with 8.2.1...if we had
the query category defined in the server at startup, it
enabled the query logging flag.  If we removed it from the
config at startup, it would start with the query logging
flag disabled.  If we then added the category at any point
and did a reload, we got the query logging we desired, but
the only way we could then get rid of query logging would
be by reconfiguring with query logging channel set to "null"
or by killing and restarting the server with query logging
undefined.
  From my perspective, there seems to be a missing interaction
between the state of the query logging flag and the defined
or undefined state of the query logging channel.  Ideally,
when the query logging category goes from defined to undefined,
the query logging flag ought to switch to disabled.  In addition,
there should be a way to set the query logging flag to disabled
in the config even when the query logging category is defined.
					Scott