DNS question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 11 19:03:26 UTC 1999

In article <389340051.939668002642.JavaMail.root at web04.pub01>,
Michael Dang  <mdang at engineer.com> wrote:
>My user has a request to have his domain within my domain.  Can someone give
>me an advice of how to do this.

Do you mean he wants to operate a DNS server and use a domain name that's a
subdomain of your domain?  If your domain is engineer.com, and his domain
is userdomain.engineer.com, you would add the following to the engineer.com
zone file:

userdomain  NS  <FQDN of his DNS server>.

If the FQDN is within the userdomain.engineer.com subdomain, you'll also
need a glue A record.  E.g. if it's hisserver.userdomain.engineer.com,
you'll need:

hisserver.userdomain  A  <IP of his DNS server>

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com