I'm so confused!!

David Spigelman dspigelm at acp.org
Mon Oct 11 14:12:45 UTC 1999

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > > You DID put the changes under the Source Code Control System (SCCS) or
> > > the Revision Control System (RCS), didn't you?  ;->
> >
> > Um... uh... wuzzat? (Apparently, no, I didn't <sheepish grin>)
>
> Sending you my quick notes on RCS and SCCS under separate cover.
>
> > > Perhaps because of some small error in the zone file.  Look in your
> > > 'syslog' output for details.
> >
> > Checked the syslog. There doesn't seem to be *anything* having to do with BIND
> > in it at all! Anyplace else I might check? Anyplace I might make a change so
> > that errors, etc. *do* go to the syslog?
>
> Look in /etc/syslog.conf for other places that 'syslogd' might be
> sending the messages.  If not, do a 'man syslog.conf' to see how to add
> it.

Ok... *Now* we're beginning to get somewhere. I found what I was looking for in
/var/adm/messages. What I found was that my problems are twofold:

1. I don't have a default TTL set for my domains. I'll try to find out more about
that. Is there any advice you could give me in that regard?

2. Many of my hostnames have underscores ( _ ) in them. Apparently this is illegal
in BIND 8, though it worked fine in BIND 4. Why was this changed? Is it really
necessary for me to change the hostnames (there are a lot of them), or can this be
changed? Assuming I can fix this problem without changing the hostnames, is there a
reason changing the hostnames instead might be a better choice?

Oh... Thanks for the docs on SCCS and RCS.