once bitten

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 08:24:52 UTC 1999

In article <199910081548.IAA12815 at zephyr.isi.edu>, Bill Manning
<bmanning at ISI.EDU> wrote:

>anyone else have this problem?
>
>dig @b.root-servers.net version.bind chaos txt
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>VERSION.BIND.           0S CHAOS TXT    "8.1.2-T3B"
>

>vs.
>
>dig b.root-servers.net version.bind chaos txt
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>VERSION.BIND.           0S CHAOS TXT    "8.2.2-T4B"
>

>        dig is silently ignoring the malformed argument, which
>        generated a couple minutes of introspection on my part.

I think what DiG is doing (without looking at the code - I've puzzled over
this kind of thing before too) is just using the last thing it recognises
as a domain in the argument list rather than complaining about multiple
domains.  So the arguments are perfectly formed it's just the arg checking
that's a little lax.

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services