Bind 8.1.2 in.named memory leak in Solaris 7

William P. Malloy wpm at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Oct 11 06:30:19 UTC 1999

This is a known bug in Solaris 7 (in the resolver NOT in /usr/sbin/in.named)
4211042 Bind 8.1.2 in.named memory leak in Solaris 7

The fix is to install patch 106938-02 (for SPARC) or 106939-02 (for x86).
The fact that the "fix" is in libresolv and NOT in in.named should
point out the problem in just ripping out code and replacing it with
something else.  Nothing may get fixed and there is always the possibility
of hiding (instead of solving) the underlying problem.

This is also why you should keep up on the patches/updates.  Check out
the http://access1.sun.com/ web site for patch reports on your running OS.

=wpm	William P. Malloy

DISCLAIMER I am not speaking officially for Sun, just stating an opinion.