Bind 4.9.3

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 8 20:17:35 UTC 1999

In article <939403870.2017.254 at excite.com>,
Muhammad Umar Farooq <microumar at excite.com> wrote:
>Sorry I am currently using bind 4.9.3
>Can any one briefly explain me how can I add new sub domain to my DNS
>server. What are necessary changes needed in farward and reverse mapping
>filesi.e. var/named/hosts and var/named/hosts.rev
>Also what are the other files to be modified and how.
>

>for example I want to enter a registered domain
>"microumar.mydomain.net" in my DNS server let suppose its address is
>63.65.171.4

Add the line

microumar.mydomain.net.  A  63.65.171.4

to /var/named/hosts.  Add the line:

4.171.65.63.in-addr.arpa.  PTR  microumar.mydomain.net.

to /var/named/hosts.rev.

This assumes your named.boot file contains something like:

primary mydomain.net /var/named/hosts
primary 63.in-addr.arpa /var/named/hosts.rev

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com