Process for changing DNS servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 8 18:00:38 UTC 1999

In article <37FD9EAA.292E9B7B at bluetrack.com>,
Chris Meyer  <bluetrak at bluetrack.com> wrote:
>If I want to change DNS servers, what is the best way to do it?
>
>I know that I need to change it with Internic, but do I need to ask the
>existing DNS host to remove the domain name from their server? Is there
>anything else I have to worry about?

You should tell them to configure their servers as slaves to your new
primary until 3 days after the InterNIC updates the root servers.  During
that time the NS records that point to them will stick in caches, so this
will cause them to return your new data.  After that time they should
remove the zone from their servers completely.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com