Setting a zone.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Oct 6 17:21:02 UTC 1999

> What happends if I list 2 ns servers for a domain, and the domain is not
> set on the 1st server? (will bind check for the domain on the second server?)

This is purely a function of the resolver library being used, but the
BIND resolver library will do this.  It wastes time and causes
unnecessary error messages to be logged, though.  "Say What You Mean."

> I want to set a TLD for a LAN (let's call it "ariel"), and I have 2 DNS
> servers on the LAN. So, I set all the zone file on one of the servers, and
> then I add this at the end of db.cache (the file with all the root servers)
> on the second DNS server (this goes after all the X.root-servers.net
> records, because this DNS server is resolving internet names):
>
> .                  3600000      NS    root.ariel.
> root.ariel.      3600000      A     192.168.0.8
>
> Will that work??

No.  That root server will be picked 1/(N+1) times, given N root
servers.  Therefore, N/(N+1) times, the ".ariel" TLD will not be
resolved.

Why don't you forward all of your DNS queries through the single
server, on the way to the Internet?  Tell your internal server that
"root.ariel" is the only root server [it will soon learn differently],
but also tell it to "forward only" all unresolved queries to that
server.  That server can then be the master for zone "ariel", and the
rest should work.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B