External DNS and Internal DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Oct 6 14:39:08 UTC 1999

In article <7DFA4636C7A7D211B52400805FE6A1C1014D116F at NIESFM1>,
ANG Choon Gei (CSC) <cgang at nie.edu.sg> wrote:
>How do I setup an internal DNS and external DNS? The internal DNS is a
>secured DNS whereby only internal user is allow for query. Conversely, the
>external DNS allows the internet to query.

Put the internal DNS behind a firewall, or use the "allow-query" option to
refuse to answer queries from outside your network.

>What if I do not have a firewall in between external dNS and internal DNS?
>This means that both of my DNS are behind firewall. Can I do without
>changing the firewall policy.

You have to change the firewall policy to allow DNS queries in to the
external DNS server, and the replies back out.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com