options - directory - how to redefine?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Oct 4 17:32:06 UTC 1999

> I am using Solaris 7, bind 8.1.2, and this machine is going to be the
> root server of my internal network. I have about 7000 internal domains,
> and I need to make some hierarchy using different directories.
> I was using bind 4.9.7 and everyhing was working fine just using
> "directory  /a/b/c". To use bind 8.1.2, I translated the named.boot file
> to named.conf using the tool named-bootconf. If I put "options {
> directory a/b/...}" in different places, I got an error I can=B4t redefin=
> options.
> How do I use multiple directories in bind 8.1.2?

This has been asked before.

Note that, as the error message says, you may have ONLY ONE options
statement, with ONLY ONE directory statement.  Why would you ever need
more?

If I have everything under, e.g., /var/named, and I want to have
subdomain sub1 in directory, sub1, etc., all I have to do is use normal
Unix filename conventions:

options {
	directory "/var/named";
};

zone	"whoknows.domain"	IN {
	type master;
	file "zone";
};

zone	"30.20.10.in-addr.arpa"	IN {
	type master;
	file "reverse";
};

zone	"sub1.whoknows.domain"	IN {
	type master;
	file "sub1/zone";
};

zone	"16.30.20.10.in-addr.arpa"	IN {
	type master;
	file "sub1/reverse";
};

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov