Reverse not working all over

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 4 14:33:51 UTC 1999

In article <dMb2Nx0diof3F9YG6pvmP60vmR=5 at 4ax.com>,
Jonathan Goldman  <jgoldman at cpcug.org> wrote:
>Help -
>I have a domain (thesphinx.org) registered with register.com. My ISP,
>with whom I have a DSL account seems to have done what is necessary to
>handle my DNS (using monroe.patriot.net and jackson.patriot.net). I
>can do forward look ups for my domain, various aliases, and the MX
>record, all of which point to the same IP (209.249.182.61). On their
>servers and one other I checked (clark.net), the reverse lookup shows
>my name as they have it (jgoldman.dsl.patriot.net), but I cannot get a
>satisfactory reverse anywhere else I try, which means I can't get any
>US only downloads (like Netscape).

Boy, was this a difficult one to find.

The problem is that the addresses of NS.PATRIOT.NET and NS2.PATRIOT.NET
have apparently changed, but they never updated their InterNIC Host
objects.  As a result, when the upstream ISP's servers, NS.ABOVE.NET and
NS3.ABOVE.NET, hand out referrals, they's sending the old IP addresses.
And the servers with the old IP addresses don't have your PTR record
installed.

Here's the output from "whois ns.patriot.net":

   Hostname: NS.PATRIOT.NET
   Address: 206.151.9.1
   System: ? running ?

   Coordinator:
      deLorenzi, Bob  (BD184)  bob at PATRIOT.NET
      703-277-7737

   Record last updated on 19-Mar-97.

The IP address *should* be 209.249.176.5.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com