Bad referral

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 1 20:26:42 UTC 1999

In article <7t343f.23go.1 at verdi.nethelp.no>,
Steinar Haug <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:
>[Barry Margolin]
>
>|   >> Sep 29 21:11:44 ns1 named[32521]: bad referral (net !< GTLD-SERVERS.net)
>|   I think you'll need to turn on named tracing to find out what's going on;
>|   something is very strange in your configuration.  I checked all the servers
>|   that these domains are delegated to, and none of them are lame (except that
>|   I didn't get any response from ns2.internic.net, one of the servers for
>|   gtld-servers.net).
>
>Still no response from ns2.internic.net, and ns.netsol.com/ns2.netsol.com
>*are* indeed non-authoritative for gtld-servers.net. Thus there are *no*
>authoritative name servers for gtld-servers.net! Rather ironic, since
>{f,j,k}.gtld-servers.net are supposed to be authoritative for com/net/org.

I didn't actually check for authority, I just checked whether they returned
referrals up the hierarchy, and they didn't.  So they should elicit lame
server warnings, but not bad referral errors.  They're returning some data
for the zone (e.g. its MX, NS, and SOA records) but non-authoritatively,
and returning SERVFAIL errors for {f,j,k}.gtld-servers.net.  Luckily, the
root servers will include these A records as glue records, and when they
time out there are still plenty of other NS records for these gTLD's.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com