Wierd DNS(I think) problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 1 14:00:15 UTC 1999

In article <hbOI3.3075$JM3.130112 at nnrp1.ptd.net>,
Ed Nowicki <enowicki at ptd.net> wrote:
>Problem:
>If i ping or go into netscrape with any URL that begins with www (i.e.
>www.dogpile.com) no name resolution occurs (i.e. netscrape times out).
>However if I type in (or ping) dogpile.com, I get vaild DNS resolution and
>get connected to the server.

Did you start netscape before resolv.conf was filled in?  I believe the
resolver library only reads resolv.conf once, the first time it's used in
an application, and then it remembers the information in the file.  So if
you change resolv.conf you need to restart any network applications that
use DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com