Private DNS for learning:how?

bigbootie mike_sorceNOmiSPAM at hotmail.com.invalid
Tue Nov 30 21:07:39 UTC 1999

In article <82122h01elr at enews3.newsguy.com>, robertw at nytimes.com
(Robert Watkins) wrote:
> I have recently installed Linux (Mandrake 6.1) on my laptop, and
> want to use
> it to learn more about networking.
> Is it possible to set up DNS on the machine so that I can fake a
> hostname
> without screwing things up when I dial in to my ISP?
> I know I can do some things with /etc/hosts, but I really want to
> learn how to
> manage DNS. Most of the resources I have looked at are intended --
> and
> understandably so -- for those who actually have an IP number
> other than
> 127.0.0.1 and are setting up DNS for real.
> Where can I get information about setting up a private DNS so that
> I can learn
> about networking with just my standalone laptop? (And please don't
> refer me to
> to any RFCs, I'm not there yet!)

set your loopback address (127.0.0.1) as your nameserver in your
/etc/resolv.conf file. Then, setup BIND on your laptop, with some bogus
name-address information (ie: in /etc/named.conf, make a zone for the
domain foo.bar, pointing to /var/namedb/db.foo.bar; then, in the file
/var/namedb/db.foo.bar, make an A record for www.foo.bar. as 10.0.0.1;
see the "DNS and BIND" book for details). See if you can get nslookup
on your laptop to resolve www.foo.bar. Then, if all works, you can set
up another machine as a resolver pointing to your laptop's ip address
as a nameserver.

You can go back to /etc/resolv.conf and put your ISP's nameserver back
in later. I hope this is what you are looking for.