Reverse DNS errors?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Nov 30 19:42:09 UTC 1999

In article <3843D61C.B1464572 at itineris.net>,
Alexis Albinet  <albinet at itineris.net> wrote:
>I think that you must have only one IP for an A entry. You should make
>CNAME.

There is no such rule, although I agree that CNAMEs are preferable when
possible.

>for exemple:
>
>www.techdreams.com.        IN    A                    204.92.67.50
>ftp                                           IN    CNAME      www
>mail                                        IN    CNAME        www
>ns                                            IN    CNAME        www

Since mail and ns appear in his MX and NS records, these names must not
be CNAMEs.  Either change the MX and NS records to point to www, or leave
those names as A records (and make www and ftp be the CNAME records).

Of course, this part of the thread is totally irrelevant.  His question was
about *reverse* DNS.  His forward DNS was fine the way it was.  I pointed
out the problem with his reverse DNS in my earlier response.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com