Resolver strangeness in 8.2.2-REL

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 30 19:25:18 UTC 1999

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 10:59:33PM -0500, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> I can "fix" this by putting a nameserver directive in
> /etc/resolv.conf (0.0.0.0 & 127.0.0.1 both work), but the
> O'Reilly (v3) book doesn't explain much here & the docs/faqs
> seem to advise against this.

???  Where?

> Unless I'm mistaken, I shouldn't even *need* a resolv.conf,
> since this is supposed to be handled by the nameserver.  (??)
> I've always done without this before...

'Fraid not.  The resolver is one part.  The name server is another.  The
resolver needs to be told where to go look, since it is NOT necessarily
the local host, even if it happens to be running a name server itself.
You do need the nameserver directive in /etc/resolv.conf.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B