Internal and External DNS

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue Nov 30 13:45:45 UTC 1999

We're running someithing similar - we have an internal DNS and an
external DNS.  The external is maintained by our ISP; the internal is
purely internal.  The machines that are accessible from the inside and
outside have two interfaces, so have two different IP numbers (and
names).

We have an internal bogus domain for which our internal name server is
authoritative; and forwards all other inquires to our ISP.

so a machine that is seen both from the inside and outside would be seen
as

abc.bogus.int
abc.real.com

Not quite the same names, but it gets around the mess of having two name
servers to maintain with similar, but slightly different, data.

We tried it the other way with all machines on the real domain, but the
coordination hassles outweighed the benefits of having a bogus domain
for our internal hosts.

Since all inquiries outside the bogus domain are forwarded to the
external name server, an internal user can still refer to abc.real.com
and have it resolved.

--Yan

--

          | /      /