CNAME records coexistence with other RR's

Yusuf G yusufg at graffiti.net
Tue Nov 30 08:21:44 UTC 1999

Hi, I have a situation where I want to create a CNAME record
mail.foo.com pointed to machine1.some.other.domain
Also, I want a MX record to mail.foo.com pointing to machine1.some.other.domain

Basically, I want to setup a test web-based email system. According to
RFC 2181 and RFC 1912 A CNAME record is not allowed to coexist with any other
+data. Does any body have any suggestion as to a workaround for this. I don't
+want to add a A record for mail.foo.com to allow for flexibiltiy in moving its
+target machine