Using BIND to generate Domain Name Lists?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Sat Nov 27 14:51:13 UTC 1999

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 07:15:41AM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <or2b3sg1srl1b9dg2ees4ml1oc4lt97dch at 4ax.com>,
> Jeremy D. Cook <jcook at ideal.com> wrote:
> >My boss wants me to All Domain Names Starting with the word "scan" to
> >retrieve what names are & aren't registered, as well as who owns the
> >used records.  I can figure you how to setup the extended whois on the
> >list of registered names, but I can't figure out how to query a DNS
> >server for scan* - I am running my own Linux BIND-8 server, so I can
> >do it locally... Any thoughts?
>
> grep 'zone "scan' named.conf

Of course, this would only give him the zones on his server, and he
already said that he knew how to do this [probably needs a more generic
pattern to catch the generic case].

There is no way for you to query a DNS server for its domains, much less
query ALL of the DNS servers for their domains.  And doing a 'whois
scan' will just generate all the records that have any kind of 'scan' in
any field ... up to the point that the server decides it's given you
enough ... ISTM that that is around 50 records.

ISTM also, though, that I remember that if you write NSI with a good
reason for needing this information, they would 'grep' their WHOIS
database for you.  It might cost some money.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B