Lump answers

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Nov 27 06:32:30 UTC 1999

> 2:  If you are running a master server regardless of connection to the
Internet,
>     assuming you do not want to reach the root servers, but rather set
yourself
>     up as a fake root (that is, you say that you know everything about the
>     namespace), make a fake.cache file and specify it in a zone of type
master.
>         zone "." IN { type master; file "/var/named/fake.cache"; };
>     fake.cache should contain an SOA and NS RR, like any other zone file.
>     (This begs the question, what happens if I use "forward" if I am
root?)

Probably not what you expect.  Your name server would forward
almost nothing, returning NXDOMAIN responses for queries in
any top-level domains it doesn't delegate from its root zone.

>     Before 8.2.2,you will see in syslog: info: No root nameservers for
class IN

No, you won't see this in a correctly configured internal root setup.

>     b) forget the hint file all together
>     Result:  nothing works.  syslog will complain: findns: No root
nameservers
>     for class IN?  This is not the same as the info message in case 2.
Case 2
>     applies to root servers only.  You definitely need a hint file, but
what
>     goes in it?  Read on.

This isn't true.  Forward-only name servers have always been able
to run without a root hints file, and in newer verisons of BIND,
you don't even see an error message in this configuration.

>     c) use a hint file, specify yourself in it
>     Result: no problem, everything works great.  syslog doesn't complain.
>     think this is the right setup (please tell me if I'm wrong).  However,
if
>     this is a slave, it has a set of problem all its own.

If you're in forward-only mode, it doesn't matter what's in your
root hints file.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.