Manual Pages for bind 8.2.2.P5 and Solaris 2.7

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Nov 24 23:44:34 UTC 1999

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 03:47:09PM -0800, Kevin Kelly wrote:
> I downloaded and installed the manual pages for the new bind 8.2.2.P5, but I
> can make them work with my Solaris 2.7 server.  The manual pages where
> installed in:
>
>  /usr/share/man/cat1
>  /usr/share/man/cat3
>  /usr/share/man/cat5
>  /usr/share/man/cat7
>  /usr/share/man/cat8
>
> but I always get a "No manual entry for ndc." error when I try and display
> any of the new manual pages.
>
> Kevin Kelly
> Systems/Operations Manager
> Whitman College
> kelly at whitman.edu

Different versions of 'man' work slightly differently on different
systems.  So take my suggestions as indications of places to look,
rather than absolute cures.

ISTM that /usr/man is a symbolic link to /usr/share/man on some Solaris
systems.  If this is NOT the case, then:
	If you have a $MANPATH defined, append /usr/share/man:
		C-type shells:	setenv MANPATH ${MANPATH}:/usr/share/man
		other shells:	export MANPATH=${MANPATH}:/usr/share/man
	If you do not have a $MANPATH defined, create one:
		C-type shells:	setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/share/man
		other shells:	export MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/share/man

If this does not work, it may be that this version of 'man' needs
something in .../man/manX before it will notice the version in
.../man/catX.  In that case, 'touch' the requisite files; but make them
older than the files in catX.  E.g.:
	touch -t 198001010000 man8/ndc.8

If this does not work, I'm not sure what to tell you.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B