Newbie install help

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Nov 24 00:21:35 UTC 1999

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 05:08:14PM -0500, ALP wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm in the process of restructuring our network and need some help. Our
> needs are as follows:
>
> 1. Resolve our own domain.
> 2. Resolve our email, ftp and web services externally (on our DMZ) as well
> as Internet resolution.
> 3. Somehow also be able to resolve a corporate intranet with a different
> domain name (we are not a subdomain).
>
> This intranet has no outside connections to the Internet and use their own
> DNS. I know I can setup our new internal DNS with the forwarders command
> going to an external DNS and that should take care of Items 1 and 2.  My
> question is how do I accomplish item 3? Is there anyway of doing this? Does
> bind 8.2.2 have any commands that would selectively forward request?
>
> Many thanks,
> Armando

Selective forwarding is actually one of the major improvements in BIND
8.2 over previous versions.  But ISTM that you don't really need it for
your configuration.  Set your internal name server to be authoritative
for the internal domain(s) and reverse DNS lookups.  Forward [only] to
... well, now, I am puzzled.  At one point you say there is no
connection to the Internet, and at another you say that you can forward
to the Internet.  Which is it?  ;-)  I suspect you have a firewall with
that DMZ.  You can run your external name server on the firewall bastion
host, which will also allow DNS forwarding through it.

As always, the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" by Albitz & Liu is the
definitive reference to anything pre-8.2, and the "type forward" zones
and other updates in 8.2.* are fairly well documented.  If you are using
8.2.2, please make sure to get a current patch level [P5?].

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B