550 cannot route to sender

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 23 18:12:08 UTC 1999

Sorry, I've been out sick for a while.

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 04:47:18PM +0600, bind at col7.metta.lk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:48:23AM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > > I have set up Qmail on "metta.lk" (204.143.107.46)
> > > and use autoturn to get my mail to "col7.metta.lk" (172.16.1.1)
> > > Everything works quite well.
> > > To some domains I get messages like the below returned by Mailer Daemon.
> > > Is this a DNS problem on my machine
> > > or is it because I am on local IPs
>
> > Private internet addresses, such as col7's, should never be visible in
> > DNS to the general Internet.  It looks like the remote host found the
> > address for col7, and tried to send it directly.
>
> Sorry for the confusion, but it is me that is sending to a remote host.
> and my messages are getting returned.
> Please see below returned message.

> Date: 17 Nov 1999 01:54:37 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON at metta.lk
> To: bind at col7.metta.lk
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at metta.lk.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
>
> <Rainer.Klier at erl.sbs.de>:
>
> Connected to 194.138.37.40 but sender was rejected.
> Remote host said: 501 <bind at col7.metta.lk>... Sender domain must exist

This looks perfectly straightforward.  I would tend to suspect a qmail
configuration error.  Unfortunately, I am not familiar with qmail.  I am
a sendmail partisan, but [fickle user that I am] am looking with
interest at postfix.

erl.sbs.de has FOUR mail server MX records, two of which are IPv4 only
and two of which are IPv4/IPv6.  I wonder whether that is confusing
qmail?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B